Cookies

We use essential cookies to make our site work. We'd also like to set analytics cookies that help us make improvements by measuring how you use the site. These will be set only if you accept.

For more detailed information about the cookies we use, see our cookies page.

Essential Cookies

Essential cookies enable core functionality such as security, network management, and accessibility. For example, the selections you make here about which cookies to accept are stored in a cookie.

You may disable these by changing your browser settings, but this may affect how the website functions.

Analytics Cookies

We'd like to set Google Analytics cookies to help us improve our website by collecting and reporting information on how you use it. The cookies collect information in a way that does not directly identify you.

Third Party Cookies

Third party cookies are ones planted by other websites while using this site. This may occur (for example) where a Twitter or Facebook feed is embedded with a page. Selecting to turn these off will hide such content.

Skip to main content

East West Rail

To keep you updated on project progress and upcoming work taking place in our constituency please find a link to the East West Rail website:  https://eastwestrail.co.uk/

UPDATE ON HS2 AND EWR

Vibration damage caused by HGV traffic.

I have been asking HS2 via EKFB to arrange to instal some vibration monitors on properties that could suffer vibration damage from HGVs. We have come to the end of the road on this one and their position is;

’HS2 have assessed their impact on the road network and due to the relatively low number of HGV movements do not consider there will be a detrimental effect….if however you do believe that you are impacted please raise with HS2 enquiries so it can be considered on an individual basis..’

Whilst I have not said it to them whilst requesting the monitors, I have to say, between us, that I understand their position. Even reporting to complaints/ enquiries likely to be a waste of time. I can see no prospect of attributing blame to HS2 vehicles above any of the other many HGVs that travel through the village - and have done for years!!

Downgrading Bridleways

There have been suggestions on SM that HS2 are intending to downgrade some bridleways in the area. They deny this and say that they are having ongoing discussions with British Horse Society to deal with disruption that will be caused to bridleways during construction. There will inevitably be some disruption because some bridleways cross the trace of the line.They will be creating diversions, temporary and permanent, and building bridleway crossings. Closures will be notified in advance.

Speeding through the village

They are constantly being advised of speeding vehicles, both HGVs and others. Their response is always the same - get registration numbers and complain and offenders will be dealt with. Our response is always that we will whenever possible but we should not need to be policing on their behalf.

Both EKFB and EWR are consulting their traffic management teams to explore the possibilities of telling all of their personnel and HGV hauliers to abide by a 20mph in residential areas, ie through Edgcott. We know that the chances of this solving the problem are slim to none but it might bring some small improvement. Residents should complain themselves rather than whinging at the PC to do it for them. The PC are doing their complaining through their participation in the various sub-groups etc.

VAS Signs

EWR are considering funding and installing the “smiley face" VAS signs to villages that want them. This is not a commitment yet but is looking promising. I have told them that Edgcott will want some as soon as available.

HGV volumes

EKFB are now giving us average daily HGV movements at fortnightly meetings and have promised to provide us with numbers on any days that we feel the  limits of allowed movements might be breached.

The figures do not yet include Fusion movements but these are likely to be less and may well be finishing shortly when EKFB take over all local compounds. I have asked for timing and for Fusion numbers to be included, if their departure is not imminent.

At the moment EKFB numbers are significantly below what were forecast and what they are allowed.

EWR are another story and continually assuring me that their HGVs will be only occasional unless there is unforseen restrictions on the approved routes. Unfortunately they don’t seem to be able to manage their hauliers but keep promising to do better!!!!

The same comments apply as to speeding;

"Residents should complain themselves rather than whinging at the PC to do it for them. The PC are doing their complaining through their participation in the various sub-groups etc.”

All HS2. And EWR HGV’s should display identifiers in the windscreen - not all do, but short of chasing them to their compound that is difficult to prove.